7/16/13

Churn Dash Meets Nine Patch

This Thimbleberries quilt began with a block swap with Quilter's Hollow. Members swap the churn dash variation blocks found in Kim Diehl's book "Simple Comforts". After the swap was completed I decided I wanted them to border a medallion center and chose to use one of Kim's applique' patterns from the same book. I then added two plain borders. (2009)


I n 2012 I participated in 2 Nine patch swaps, one with TBLovers2 group and the other Thimbleberries/Moda Bee.

 
These are some of the blocks I made.

My Little Red Hens Bee has a UFO  challenge each year due in July and I decided that this would be one of my challenges.
The beginning of April I began to work on the top




I added a couple more borders and pieced a back. Then the quilt was put on hold. In June I pin basted the layers and began quilting. I free motion quilted the quilt using many of the technique's learned from SewCalGal 2012 and 2013 FMQ challenge. Thank you to all the ladies that swapped blocks with me, to SewCalGal and instructors, and to the Little Red Hens and Kim Monins for the UFO challenge to complete this quilt. Most of all I thank God that he gave me peace while completing the quilt.  (June 2013) Quilt measures approximately 80" x 86"
Finished Front

Finished Pieced Back


Close ups of some of the quilting




sketching ideas for quilting


2 comments:

Kay M said...

Beautiful job, Tina. Thank you for sharing your process and timeline. I have many UFO's. This gives me a process and a timeline. I have hope and an outline for completion to follow. Thank you.

Tina said...

Thank you Kay.  I still have quite  a few ufos.  Normally I try to get at least 6 done in a year. Since I've been machine quilting it is more doable. May you have success in finishing your quilts. Tina